We Offer Practical Solutions
To Protect Your Interests.

Can I sue for lost wages after a motor vehicle accident?

On Behalf of | Jul 24, 2023 | Personal Injury

A common fallout for victims injured in motor vehicle accidents in Ohio is that many must often take time off work to recuperate from their injuries. For some, this situation means losing income after a certain point when their employer will no longer cover time off. Not working for a long time can pose problems when rehabilitation is extensive.

What are lost wages?

Lost wages occur when victims cannot work following motor vehicle accidents. In these cases, lost wages refer to the money someone would have earned from the time of the accident to the date of settlement or judgment. Plaintiffs must prove that the injuries incurred directly prevented them from being able to work. The claims process for lost ages involves two damages: lost earning capacity and lost compensation. The first refers to the inability to work, while the second relates to wages and other possible benefits that would have been earned. These can include bonuses and other perks.

Proving lost wages

Proving that an accident caused a plaintiff’s inability to work following an accident is essential to a successful claim. Several types of documents are necessary. These include:

  • Medical documentation that you must take time off from work for recovery and rehabilitation
  • Paystubs or other financial documents proving the loss of income
  • Wage verification letter from your employer confirming your usual pay

Filing a claim for lost wages

The effects of automobile accidents can be devastating and often life-changing, especially when victims sustain multiple severe injuries. When injuries are extensive, victims cannot work for months or sometimes years as they undergo surgeries and comprehensive rehabilitation. Victims sometimes become permanently disabled, unable to draw regular income in the future. In this situation, lost wages claims may become part of a larger injury lawsuit.

As a victim, you can recover lost wages in various ways, depending on the severity of your injuries. Options include filing a claim with your insurance company or that of the driver causing the accident. When accident-related costs are excessive, you can also file a lawsuit for compensation.